In this guide, we will cover the steps to install Webmin on Ubuntu 22.04|20.04|18.04 Linux distributions. Webmin is the leading open source web-based Linux/Unix system administration control panel.
You can use Webmin to set up user accounts, manager Apache web server, DNS Server, samba and File configuration, email servers, package management, manage database servers e.t.c.
Install Webmin on Ubuntu 22.04|20.04|18.04
We will install Webmin on Ubuntu 22.04|20.04|18.04 using the APT repository. Install required dependencies:
sudo apt update sudo apt install vim apt-transport-https curl wget software-properties-common
Once the repository is added, import GPG key used to sign packages in the repository:
wget https://download.webmin.com/jcameron-key.asc cat jcameron-key.asc | gpg --dearmor | sudo tee /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/jcameron-key.gpg >/dev/null
Add Webmin repository to Ubuntu22.04|20.04|18.04:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb https://download.webmin.com/download/repository sarge contrib"
Then update system and install Webmin package:
sudo apt update sudo apt install webmin
If the installation goes well, you should get output similar to below:
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them. The following additional packages will be installed: libauthen-pam-perl libio-pty-perl The following NEW packages will be installed: libauthen-pam-perl libio-pty-perl webmin 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 109 not upgraded. Need to get 28.7 MB of archives. After this operation, 306 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
If you have an active UFW firewall service, allow port 10000:
sudo ufw allow 10000
Access Webmin Interface
Now that you have installed Webmin on Ubuntu22.04|20.04|18.04, open your server URL/IP address port 10000, e.g https://192.168.17.51:10000
Login with your server privileged user account to start administering your system from a web interface.
Example of Webmin Modules:
- BIND DNS Server: Create and edit domains, DNS records, BIND options and views
- BSD Firewall : Configure a BSD firewall using IPFW, by creating and editing rules
- DHCP Server: Manage shared networks, subnets, hosts, and groups for ISC DHCPD
- CD Burner: Burn data CDs from ISO images or selected directories
- File Manager : View, edit and change permissions on files and directories on your system with a Windows-like file manager
- Dovecot IMAP/POP3 Server: Configure the Dovecot IMAP and POP3 mail retrieval server
- LDAP Server: Manage the OpenLDAP server and objects in its database All operating systems
- MySQL Database Server: Setup databases, tables, and permissions in your MySQL database server
- Linux RAID: Create RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, 6, 10 and linear devices on a Linux system
- SSL certificates: Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate requests
- IPsec VPN Configuration: Set up a client or server for an IPsec VPN using FreeSWAN
Thanks for installing Webmin on Ubuntu 22.04|20.04|18.04 with our guide.